Monday, December 16, 2019

Reflection on Mission 1: Creativity


To start off, I am relieved to say that we have passed the mission! However, I have come to realize that there are many aspects of the missions that I need to work on.

Let's get started with the more technical side of things...

One of the biggest mistakes when marking up the HTML and CSS was not keeping them in to separate files. I mixed up HTML tags with bits of CSS. I had no idea about indenting the elements so what was written in the file was understandable. Overall, it was a messy and frustrating experience. And oh boy, if I knew the comments option existed in brackets it would have made my life much easier sorting out different aspects of the document. 

I'll show you an example of how my document looks like before and after using the comments to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

This is the document without comments.

Here's the document with comments. 


 Also, if I understood how beneficial the <div> tag  is when it comes to the layout of a web-page, it would have greatly benefited us in creating a more interesting website rather than having a simple text box in the middle.  Despite that, that simple text box was enough to get our message across. 


Although there has been hard work put into our project, I feel like our main mistake was that we were too focused on the end-product (the website).  This resulted in us somewhat neglecting the  discovery phase of the project which is why I believe we struggled to showcase our efforts during the presentation. I have failed to consider that in the end it was more about what we learned and to share that with the rest of the group rather than making the HTML and CSS work out.

Our presentation skills could also use some practice. Looking back, we were kinda tense when explaining our project to the class. We spent a lot of time trying to create an interesting website we overlooked the fact that the end product is only as interesting as the presenter and how it's delivered to the audience.
 Our mistake there was not discussing how we were to approach this aspect of the mission beforehand. Therefore in a way, it was difficult to speak about the process of our work. I know if I were given another chance to present I would have  wanted to put an emphasis on  the tags and CSS that we used to showcase our efforts more throughout this project. 

Something else that was brought to our attention that ties in with what I've mentioned above is how there was an inconsistent theme throughout the project. We focused too much on our own individual work and attempted to tie the entire project together, which is why the presentation didn't have too much of a flow. 
This is mostly evident on how different the three web pages looked like, in terms of elements such as: color scheme, layout, typography etc. This explains why there was a lack of a unified approach. The main reason behind this being that we have not met up nearly enough times as we should have. We briefly met a few times,  and although we kept in touch through social media, I don't think it was enough. However if we had found some time at some point to work on the product in the same room for an hour or two, that unified approach would have shined through more during the presentation.

Home Page of our website introducing our project.

Poem Page of our website. Lusine managed to pull off a good navigation bar for her page. 




Gallery page of our website. The blue circle is the animation that travels clockwise around the page. 


As you can see there is a lack of consistency in the theme.  Yet it does add a uniqueness to each page. Despite that. Seeing as it's our very first website, I am proud of what we managed to pull off!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection on Mission 3: Methodology

Digital Journalism Out of all the missions this semester, in terms of teamwork, I'd say we have excelled the most in t...